Wednesday 5 October 2011

Island 154 - Eilean na h-Alteig, Oldshoremore, Sutherland

Eilean na h-Alteig was a bonus island for me.  While I was waiting for the Handa Island Ferry earlier in the day I got my OS map out and planned my route north when this island caught my eye.  Low tide was mid afternoon, which was perfectly timed.  However on several previous occasions I have got to tidal islands that look accessible on the map only to find that it is soft mud or acres of slippery seaweed that separate them from the mainland or that they are only accessible on a spring tide.  This island is a short walk across sand, boulders and larger rocks with not very much seaweed.  The island is covered in short grass and heather.  The land rises from near sea level on the north side to cliffs of no more than about 20 metres on the southern side.

The beach at Oldshoremore is gorgeous - golden sand.  There is a car park at the south east end of the bay. 

 Even Highland cattle enjoy a day out at the seaside!  Oldshoremore Beach

 Eilean na h-Alteig from the graveyard

 On Eilean na h-Alteig looking towards Bagh a Phollain

 On Eilean na h-Alteig looking south eastwards

Oldshoremore Beach from Eilean na h-Alteig

No comments:

Post a Comment