Friday 20 November 2015

Island 302 - Trethias Island, Treyarnon Bay, Cornwall

Trethias Island is a small rocky tidal island at the southern end of Treyarnon Bay on the North Cornwall coast.  The day of my first visit in March 2014 was a neap tide and there was still about 10 metres of water between me and the island even at low tide.  I was staying in the nearby youth hostel and later the same day got talking to my room mate, who said that she and her brother had climbed to the top of it as teenagers and then had great difficulty getting back down again!  She confirmed that at a low spring tide the sand between the island and the cliffs was dry.

I returned in October 2015 and timed my visit to coincide with a low spring tide. I was able to climb up onto the island to about the level the highest tides reach, although in stormy conditions the waves break much higher than this.  Trethias Island definitely has enough grass to graze a sheep.  However the sheep would have great difficulty getting onto and off the island!  This was my 31st and last new island of 2015.  Roll on the 2016 island collecting season.

 Trethias Island across Treyarnon Bay

Trethias Island at a low neap tide - this was the closest I could get


What a difference a low spring tide makes
- the narrow gap between the island and the mainland has almost completely dried out

Looking north from Trethias Island up Treyarnon Bay


 Treyarnon Bay from Trethias Island

 Trethias Island


Trethias Island from the mainland

No comments:

Post a Comment