Monday 1 October 2012

Island 178 - Ardminish Point, Gigha, Scotland

Ardminish Point is a tidal island linked to Gigha at low tide.  The gap between the islands is only about 30 metres and at some point in the past a low dry stone causeway has been built between the two islands.  However it is broken down in parts and some of it is covered at high tide.

The island is only about half a mile from where the Calmac Tayinloan to Ardminish ferry docks.  However there is no clear path to it.  I picked my way across a bay and over a low headland and following paths made by cows I managed to get within about 50 metres of the crossing point before the paths vanished and there was impenetrable scrub in front of me.   I backtracked and picked up another cattle path, squelched through several boggy bits and eventually found a way round.  Later in the day I was talking to the lady who runs the B&B I stayed in and she said that parts of the island are not grazed by cattle as much as they were in the past, which is why this and some other parts of the island are very overgrown.

Ardminish Point is an unremarkable island covered in bog, heather, grass and low scrub.  It is probably of little interest to anyone except island collectors.  The lack of paths to it suggests that it isn't often visited by the inhabitants of Gigha.

On the way to Ardminish Point I passed a couple of small tidal islands, which both had just about enough grass to graze a sheep.  However as neither of them appear to be named on any map I have found, I cannot add them to my collection.

 Gigha from Ardminish Point

 Remains of the rocky causeway separating Ardminish Point from Gigha

Unnamed island in Druimyeon Bay


Ardminish from unnamed island


Unnamed island, Ardminish

No comments:

Post a Comment