Wednesday 3 October 2012

Island 180 - Creag Iain Fiodh, Gigha, Scotland

Creag Iain Fiodh is a small tidal island in a bay called Bagh Rubha Ruaidh.  It is located between Eilean Garbh and Gigha.  It is an attractive tree, grass and heather covered island and is only separated from Eilean Garbh by about 20 metres of silver sand.

When I visited in early September 2012 the beach was covered with jellyfish that had been washed up by the last tide.  I don't know if they were dead (how does one tell if a jellyfish is dead?) or just waiting to float away on the next high tide but one certainly was dead after I accidentally trod on it! Thankfully I was wearing walking boots, as jellyfish can give you a nasty sting.  I think I have identified the jellyfish as lion's manes.  If this is correct, then this species does sting.

 One of dozens of jellyfish on the beach

 Eilean Garbh is on the left, Gigha is on the right

 Looking towards the tombolo that links Eilean Garbh to Gigha

No comments:

Post a Comment