Monday 23 October 2017

Island 406 - Inishinny 2, County Donegal

I can't believe that this island doesn't have a name, as it has a substantial sized house on it and the owners must have an address.  However I cannot find a name for it on any of the maps I have looked at, so for now I am going to call it Inishinny 2.  It lies between mainland County Donegal at the scattered settlement of An Chloch Ghlas near Burtonport and the main island of Inishinny.  It is approximately 200 metres from east to west by 150 metres from north to south and can be accessed on foot across 100 metres of golden sand at low tide.

In addition to a large modern house, there is also a static caravan on the island and a small hut by a slipway, which I presume is used for vehicular access onto the island.  When I visited in early September 2017 there didn't seem to be anyone at home at the house or caravan.  The island is covered in rough grass.

House on Inishinny 2

North coast of Inishinny 2

Nice house

Caravan on Inishinny 2

Hut and slipway access for cars at low tide

Gap between the island and Inishinny

Inishinny 2 from Illancarragh
 
Inishinny 2 from the mainland

No comments:

Post a Comment