Tuesday 18 November 2014

Samalaman Island, Glen Uig, Highland - so near but so far

Samalaman Island is a small tidal island 200 metres from the mainland a mile to the west of Glen Uig in the Sound of Arisaig.  I had read in various sources that it was only accessible at low spring tides, so I arranged my entire holiday so that I could be there at a low spring tide.  However I discovered that not all spring tides are the same.  I visited the day before the spring tide when the height was 90 cm.  However there was about a 25 metres stretch of water about 40 cm deep between me and the island.  It would have been possible to wade it but I decided not to risk it, as the tide was about to turn.  The following day the tide was 10 cm lower but I could see that wouldn't be enough.  Having studied the tide times for the rest of the year I can see that some spring tides are as low as 40 or 50 cm, which would probably be enough for the causeway to clear completely.

Samalaman Island, whose name makes it sound as though it should be somewhere in the Indian Ocean, looks to be a delightful little island covered in grass, bushes and a few trees.   I assume it is named after the nearby Samalaman House.   I will be back one day to visit it.

 Samalaman Island with Eigg in the distance

Samalaman Island

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if this is the island that Katie and Scott from the 2023 you tube channel “Scottish Isle” live on. They don’t own the island but are renovating the old cottage in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt it, as it is a very small island and has no building on it.

    ReplyDelete