Wednesday 16 September 2015

Island 284 - Green Island/Hugh Park, Portavogie, County Down, Northern Ireland

This small tidal island off the eastern coast of the Ards Peninsula in County Down, Northern Ireland seems to have two names - Green Island and Hugh Park.  It is located about 600 metres to the south west of the shore at the village of Portavogie.  I set off to visit it about 2 hours before low tide and I had to paddle in one place.  The water was too deep for my walking boots, so I took them off.  By the time I came to the return journey the water had receded a bit further and I didn't need to take my boots off. 

The island is low lying and is covered in rough tussocky grass.  The holes between most of the tussocks were at least a foot deep, which made walking across the island very difficult. I walked back round the shore, which was much easier.  The island is about 200 metres long and wide, although it isn't square in shape.  There were some flowers growing in amongst the grass and along the shore, including sea mayweed, dandelions, sea campion, birds foot trefoil, thistles and sea asters.  

I visited Green Island on a sunny morning in early September.  As I arrived I inadvertently scared off a group of herons, who were resting on the beach.

 No, it isn't a real duck - just a plastic one concealing a geoache - Ireland's most easterly one!
Sea mayweed


Portavogie from Green Island


Portavogie from Green Island




 Rockpool on the shore of Green Island



 There is a shingle causeway part of the way to the shore



Looking back towards Green Island

No comments:

Post a Comment