Thursday 24 September 2015

Island 296 - Gores Island, Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland

Gores Island is a tidal island linked to Castle Island at the south east end of Strangford Lough by a gravel causeway, which is covered at high tide.  The owners seem to have forgotten to put up the Private signs or maybe they can't do this, as the track to it from the road at Castle Island is also covered at high tide.  I visited an hour or two before high tide and the causeway was still crossable.  I didn't stay long, as the tide was coming in and I was concerned I might be trespassing.  In the unlikely event that the owner of Gores Island ever reads this post, I only ventured a few metres from the island end of the causeway and didn't enter any fields.  

Gores Island is just over a kilometre from east to west and about 800 metres from north to south at its widest point.  It is used for grazing.  There were cows in the field nearest the causeway when I visited. I don't think the island is inhabited.


 Grazing fields on Gores Island

 Tidal track that runs along the south coast of Gores Island

 looking north up the west coast of Gores Island

 Castle Island from Gores Island

Gores Island from Castle Island

No comments:

Post a Comment