Thursday 30 June 2016

Island 308 - Tolm, Crowlista, Lewis

The small but very pleasant uninhabited tidal island of Tolm is located about 500 metres south west of the hamlet of Crowlista/Cradhlastadh on the west coast of the Isle of Lewis and on the north side of Uig Bay. The island is about 300 metres long by 150 metres wide at its widest point. 

I parked at the southern end of the road, where there was room for one car.  I walked back up the road and through a field of ruined houses, on through a bog to the coast and then walked south down the coast until Tolm appeared.  On my return to the car I watched a local dog walker go through a pedestrian gate above where I had parked, so that might be an easier route.

Tolm is separated from the mainland of Lewis by a rocky beach, which looked as though it is uncovered for more time than it is covered.  It has an adjacent smaller island called Leac Holm, which I didn't visit, I'm not sure why - I'll put it on the list for my next visit.

Tolm is covered in short grass and when I visited in mid June 2016 I spring squill, birds foot trefoil and thrift were in flower.


 Leac Holm

 The top of Tolm
 Looking across the bay towards Tom

 Small Cairn on Tolm

 Lewis from Tolm

 Tolm from Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment