Friday 29 July 2011

My favourite Islands

When I tell people that I collect islands, invariably one of the first questions they ask is 'which is your favourite?'  I usually tell them that it is difficult to compare very different islands.  However I have now devised my own personal scoring system.  A total of 10 marks are available, one for each of the following things:

1.  A lighthouse or daymark
2.  Seabirds other than gulls
3.  A sandy beach of yellow, white/cream or silver sand
4.  A hill
5.  Something particularly interesting in the natural landscape or geology
6.  A geocache
7.  Something unique to that island
8.  Interesting ruins e.g. chapel, castle, factory
9.  Information point or refreshments
10.  An extra point for having an additional lighthouse/daymark or sandy beach

However my experience of an island is also affected by the weather on the day I visited and sometimes by a feeling that I can't put into words.

Here are my top 20 favourite islands and their scores:
  1.   Lundy - 10
  2.   Rum - 9
  3.   Llanddwyn -8
  4.   Bardsey - 8
  5.   Valentia - 8
  6.   Barra - 8
  7.   Tresco - 8
  8.   Iona - 8
  9.   Portland - 8
  10.   St Agnes - 8
  11.   Sark -8
  12.   Great Cumbrae - 7
  13.   Flat Holm -7
  14.   Stronsay - 7
  15.   Coll -6
  16.   Looe/St George's - 6
  17.   Steep Holm - 6
  18.   Herm - 5
  19.   St Martins - 5
  20.   Ilnacullin/Garinish, Inchcolm and Skomer - 4
I realise that this scoring system favours larger islands, as they are more likely to have the necessary elements somewhere on them.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment