Sunday 19 May 2013

Island 186 - Gluss Isle, Shetland

Gluss Isle is linked to Shetland Mainland by a 300 metres long stony tombolo known as the Gluss Ayre.  It lies a mile to the south east of the delightful village of Ollaberry.  The island is 2km from north to south by 1.5 km from east to west.  The highest point is Ramna Hill at 62m.  There are good views of the Sullom Voe Oil Terminal from the island.  There is a track up as far as the leading navigation light for Sullom Voe maritime traffic at the south end of the island.  I walked as far as this but it looked like it was about to start hailing again, so I beat a hasty retreat.  There is another light at the north end of the island

The tombolo looks like it is only covered at very high spring tides or during storms.  However the track leading to the tombolo from the end of the tarmac road at the house called Ramah is covered at high tide.

 Gluss Isle from Shetland Mainland

 Shetland Mainland from Gluss Isle
 
Leading Light at the south end of the island.

View towards Sullom Voe Oil Terminal from Gluss Isle:
 tanker and tug passing by.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just saw that you think that Gluss does indeed get cut off by the tide, would you happen to have a source for this, or have you seen it yourself? All of the literature I've found says it nearly gets cut off, but if you are able to confirm otherwise I can add it to my list of islands visited! Don't suppose you have any photos?

    Thanks

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a young engineer, I was involved in the design and construction of the Sullom Voe oil terminal for about four years. One of the many things I was involved in was the design of the navigation route down Yell Sound and the S bend into Sullom Voe itself. The track down Yell Sound was established by two lights on Gluss Isle, north and south. On site, I visited both locations. Stupidly, I parked my Landrover on the shingle causeway, and walked onto the isle from there. When I returned the sea level was close to the sills of the vehicle and I was lucky to be pulled off to a higher level by a kind crofter with his tractor. I think Gluss definitely becomes an island at times of most high tides. I would love to revisit Shetland. JP

    ReplyDelete