Wednesday 15 October 2014

Eilean Tioram/Dry Island, Badachro, Gairloch Highland

On the Ordnance Survey Explorer map this island is called Eilean Tioram, which means "Dry Island".  The owner, who rents out 2 holiday cottages and a small bothy on it, calls it Dry Island.  It is unique in my experience in the UK because access to it is via a "floating bridge".  This does just what it says and floats as the tide rises.  It is located 5 miles by road from Gairloch.

Sadly I wasn't able to visit it, as there were a few too many "Private Property" notices for even me to ignore.  However I there wasn't one at the top of the hill by the road, although there is a gate.  I walked down the path to the shore where there is another gate saying "Private" and another "Private" notice further along at the mainland side of the bridge, so I just took a few photos and beat a hasty retreat before anyone noticed I had walked down the private path!  I picked up a leaflet by the parking area at the top and disturbed a resident earwig, who was busy eating it!  The properties available for holiday lets are The Old Curing Station and the Otter Cabin, which both sleep 2 people and the Bothy, which is a wooden cabin and I think it sleeps 4-5.  They all look lovely.

 Floating bridge to Dry Island at low tide

Floating bridge and Dry Island in the early morning mist

No comments:

Post a Comment