Tuesday 28 October 2014

Island 257 - Eilean an Tuirc, Gruinard Bay, Highland

Eilean an Tuirc is a small rocky tidal island on the east side of Gruinard Bay.  From the Ordnance Survey map it isn't clear that it is an island but when I reached the beach called Camus Gaineamhaich I could see that it is cut off at high tide.  There was seaweed strewn across the narrow gap between it and the mainland.

Having got up very early in Gairloch to be at Gruinard Bay for the low tide I then encountered a problem that I hadn't anticipated - thick fog.  I parked in the car park at the south east end of the bay and started to walk the half a mile or so up the beach.  Visibility was about 100 metres, so I couldn't see this island or its neighbours to the north.  However the day I visited it was a neap tide and there was a little headland sticking out which I couldn't get round without getting my feet wet.  I returned to my car and drove north up the road and eventually spotted a place to park next to a stile.  There was no signpost but there was a lone flip-flop hanging on the fence.  I deduced that this probably meant the footpath led to the beach, which it did.  When I arrived on the beach visibility had improved slightly.

The beach is an attractive orange colour with crushed shells distributed across it.    Eilean an Tuirc is covered in trees, heather, rough grass and bracken.  I also found plenty of blackberries to eat.


Eilean an Tuirc in the morning mist
 Looking south from Eilean an Tuirc

Eilean an Tuirc

 Mainland from Eilean an Tuirc

Eilean an Tuirc

No comments:

Post a Comment