Thursday 15 September 2016

Island 347 - Sherkin Island, County Cork

Sherkin Island (Inis Earcain in Irish) is located in Roaringwater Bay off the south west coast of Cork.  At its closest point it is only about 400 metres from the mainland at the Baltimore Beacon.  Ferries to Sherkin Island leave from Baltimore and Cunnamore.  The journey time from Baltimore is only about 10 minutes.  The ferry does take vehicles but you really don't need a car to explore the island, which is only 3 miles long by 1.5 miles wide.

In 2011 the resident population of Sherkin Island was 114 but in 1841 it was 1131.

The ruins of Sherkin Friary lie 200 metres inland from the slipway where the ferry docks.  However it was locked up when I visited, so I could only look at the outside. There is an information board outside with information about its history.  It was built in the 1460s by the O'Driscoll family.  It was damaged by a deliberate fire in 1538 but was later restored.  It was leased in 1578 and sold several times in the 17th century.  Parts of it were later used as a factory for processing, curing and packing herring in barrels for export. It came under the protection of the Board of Works in the late 19th century.

 Sherkin Friary
 
Sherkin Friary

Sherkin Island Ferry at Sherkin Island

Sadly I visited on a very foggy morning, so didn't see the island at its best.  I walked up to the small lighthouse on the north east coast of the island to look for a geocache, which I couldn't find.  I could just about see the lighthouse in the fog but was unable to see the cliffs and the sea below. 

Sherkin Island Lighthouse

I then walked back to the road and along an overgrown footpath around Horseshoe Harbour, which I am sure is a very beautiful place on days when you can actually see it!   The footpaths and pavements had quite a bit of dog mess on them, so you need to watch where you are walking.  I stuck to the road after this, walked west up the island as far as the church.

 Sherkin Island Catholic Church
 
Inside Sherkin Island Church
 
Lane near Kinish Harbour
 
I then walked up the road running north to the silver strand. The beach café was shut and although the beach on the western side is obviously beautiful I couldn't see much of it. 

 Silver Strand on a foggy day
 
L'Oasis Café - closed

I was told a few days later by someone I met on the Cape Clear Ferry that had I carried on walking to the north coast I would have found a café, which was open but it was too late by then.  I walked back to the main harbour passing the primary school, library (a portacabin) and community centre on the way. 

A man in an estate car stopped me on the road that runs along the shore of Kinish Harbour and asked me something.  However his accent was so strong that I understood only about one word in every 10.  I think he was a workman looking for a particular house but I'm not sure.  After I had asked him to repeat himself once but still didn't understand what he wanted, I went for the generic reply of "I'm sorry but I don't think I can help you" and hoped that it was an appropriate reply!

Sean the Shop's Café was also closed.  I then walked up to the Jolly Roger Pub (also closed) but the toilets were open.


 Primary School
 Fishing boat in Kinish Harbour
 
 Public Library
 
 Community Centre and Library
 
Sean the Shop - closed
 
 Old Pump outside the Jolly Roger
 
Jolly Roger Pub - closed 

I had a look at remains of an old castle, which is located on the side of a track leading from the Islander's Rest Hotel/bar to a small marina.  I think the bar might have been open but it didn't look very welcoming, so I didn't go in.  The castle was built by the O'Driscoll family.

 Islander's Rest Hotel
 Castle Ruins
 
Marina
 
Metal Sign at the north end of the island
I have no idea what Camille Claudel's connection with Sherkin Island is or was.  Camille Claudel (1864-1943) was a French sculptor and graphic artist.

Another Metal sign
This one is outside Sean the Shop. Maria Blanchard (1881-1932) was a Spanish painter. Artemisia Gentileschi (1593-1656) was an Italian Baroque painter (I thought it was a Latin plant name until I looked it up!)
 
 Sherkin Island from Baltimore Beacon

Sherkin Island from Baltimore Beacon

No comments:

Post a Comment