Thursday 30 August 2018

Island 444 - Eileanan Direcleit 1, Harris

Eileanan Direcleit are a string of six tidal islands located 400 metres to the east of the hamlet of Direcleit on the east coast of Harris.   I only visited the first island in the chain, which I thought was called Eilean a' Ghuail.  However I now realise that this name refers to an island to the east of the one I visited, which is not tidal.  I don't think the island I visited has an individual name but it is big enough to count as an island.  It is roughly round in shape and about 50 metres in diameter.  The grass looked like it had been grazed by sheep recently, although none were present during my visit. There is an old bath on the island, which is presumably sometimes used as a water trough.  I crossed to the island via another even smaller and also unnamed island following a path made by visiting sheep.

Looking north towards Tarbert
 
Looking south west towards Direcleit
 
Old bath
 
Looking south east to Eilean Mor
 
Looking south west to Direcleit
 
Harris from the island
 
Island from the smaller unnamed island

No comments:

Post a Comment