Tuesday 5 April 2011

Island 68 - Baleshare, Outer Hebrides

Baleshare (Baile Sear in Gaelic)  is a flat fertile island, which has been connected to North Uist by a causeway since 1962.  In 2011 the population was 58.  The name means 'east township', which implies that there was once a west township.  This is thought to have been washed away with part of the island in the 16th Century.  I visited briefly in September 2006, just to say I had been there!  I returned in 2016 to take some photos to summarise the island.  I struggled to find much of interest.  This is my selection:

 Beach on the west side of the island
There was a sign off the council maintained road down a track to a car park at the beach.  The track was very potholed.
 Baleshare Causeway
This is a telephone box for people who don't want to make phone calls!
I presume it no longer has a phone in it but I couldn't check as the wild roses have engulfed it and it was impossible to get through the gate.

 Cairn in a Field
 There was no plaque on it, so I don't know what its significance is


 Ruined house with a field of cotton-grass in front of it

 Salt marsh at the north end of Baleshare with grazing sheep

 Baleshare's Old School

No comments:

Post a Comment