Wednesday 20 July 2016

Island 326 - Eilean na Clarsaich, Ardmhor, Barra

Eilean na Clarsaich is an uninhabited tidal island lying half a mile to the south east of the ferry terminal at Ardmhor on Barra.   There was no path that I could see leading from the road near the ferry terminal to the island, although there were faint sheep paths in one or two places.   I picked my way across rough grass, heather and bog (thankfully very dry when I visited in June 2016) and then spotted some sheep on a narrow path, so I followed them and they led me to the island.

The island is low lying and covered in grass and bracken.  It is about 200 metres long by 200 metres wide. There is only a gap of about 10 metres separating the island from Barra.  At one point along the gap there is a rocky ridge, which although covered in seaweed, proved to be easy to cross.  Tormentil was in flower on the island.



Causeway from the island
 
Lamalum in the foreground with Fuidheigh in the background
 
The summit of Eilean na Clarsaich, Ardmhor, Barra
 
Litter
 
Causeway from Barra

No comments:

Post a Comment