Friday 22 July 2016

Island 338 - Triallabreac, Benbecula

Triallabreac is a tidal island lying to the north of the island of Eilean na Cille and separated from it by about 20 metres of sea at high tide.  I tried to access the island from the B891 road near the picnic site on Eilean na Cille on a rainy afternoon.  However although it was only a walk of about 100 metres I could find no path and the bracken was waist high and I got soaked in a matter of seconds.  I came back at the end of my holiday on a sunny day and although the undergrowth hadn't got any shorter, it was no problem to push my way through it on a dry afternoon.  There seemed to be a faint path in places but then it would disappear.  The crossing to the island was easy enough - just a few boulders and a little bit of seaweed to negotiate.  Triallabreac is about 900 metres long by 500 metres wide.

This was the last new island of my fortnight on the Outer Hebrides and while I wouldn't say I had left the best until last, it was very pleasant if a little overgrown. Presumably it isn't visited by people or grazed by animals very often.  I heard a stonechat chatting away while I was there.  There were lots of wildflowers, including buttercups, thrift, ragged robin, cotton-grass and tormentil.  The island is covered in bracken and heather, although the heather wasn't in flower when I visited in late June 2016.

Looking south east at the crossing point

 Looking north west from Treallabreac towards Eilean na Cille

Looking south east from above the crossing point

Looking south east - Triallabreac is on the left of the photo

No comments:

Post a Comment