Friday 22 July 2016

Island 337 - Gearraid Mhartainn, Vallay, North Uist

I wasn't sure from the 1:25000 scale Ordnance Survey map if the name Gearraid Mhartainn refers to a small uninhabited tidal island lying to the south of Vallay and the west of the larger tidal island of Morornish or to part of the western end of the island of Vallay.  Having now done some research online I think the name might actually refer to the western part of Vallay.  However it isn't clear and as I have gone to the trouble of visiting the island I am going to count it!

I accessed the island via the western end of Morornish where there is a handy rocky ridge, which provided stepping stones on to the island without too much slippery seaweed.  The island is only about 100 metres by 50 metres and when I visited in June 2016, there were plenty of buttercups, orchids, tormentil, milkwort and birds-foot trefoil in flower.

 The west end of the island looking west towards North Uist

 Looking east towards Moronish

 Moronish from the island - this is the best crossing point between the two islands

No comments:

Post a Comment